Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:31:31 +0000
From:      Jonathan Perkin <sketchy@netcraft.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Aborted commands and parity errors

Hey guys,

Found these in the logfiles this morning - box is:

 o 2.2.8-STABLE as of around Feb 1999 (with cam patches)
 o Adaptec 2940 Controller Card
 o 3 * Quantum XP34300W 4Gb disks held in an external enclosure

sd1(ahc0:3:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
sd1(ahc0:3:0):  Initiator detected error message received, retries:4
sd1(ahc0:3:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
sd1(ahc0:3:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
sd1(ahc0:3:0):  Initiator detected error message received , retries:3
sd1(ahc0:3:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
sd1(ahc0:3:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
sd1(ahc0:3:0):  Initiator detected error message received , retries:2
sd1(ahc0:3:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
sd1(ahc0:3:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
sd1(ahc0:3:0):  Initiator detected error message received , retries:1
sd1(ahc0:3:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
sd1(ahc0:3:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
sd1(ahc0:3:0):  Initiator detected error message received , FAILURE

[ lather rinse repeat ]

swap_pager: I/O error - pagein failed; blkno 77352, size 12288, error 0
vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 29846 failure

[ no doubt caused by not being able to access the swap partition ]

I'd normally guess at a cabling/termination problem, but as this box
has been running fine for years with no problems like this, and the
fact all drives are external shared off the same cable, I'm wondering
if there could be a different problem?

The box is still running fine, but obviously I can't chance this
happening again and the server crashing.  sd1 and sd2 are striped
over ccd.

--
  Jonathan Perkin  <sketchy@netcraft.com>  +44 (0)1225 867914
 Netcraft Ltd, Bradford on Avon, UK - http://www.netcraft.com/