Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:04:28 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWK/perl hacker needed to assist the Sparc64 port

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:44:49PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > > IS IT IN THE LEAST BIT POSSIBLE TO STAY ON TOPIC ON FREEBSD LISTS
> > > ANYMORE???  And we wonder why so many do not bother with them any more.
> >
> > Please refrain from acting like a turd towards someone doing a bit
> > of advocacy as well as offering some real world advice to us about
> > something we may be considering.
>
> Please refrain from hijacking a thread in which I am trying to accomplish
> a single, quick goal.
>
> You are more than free to start a *new* tread (w/new subject) to accomplish
> your advocacy.  If I got the gest of your emails in this thread, you are
> considering replacing /bin/sh.  Alfred that has come up multiple times
> ever year since I can remember.  It is one of our oldest bikesheads.

Actually, your more correct subject should have been:

	"SPARC64: vnode_if.[ch] help needed"

When I started reading this thread, it semed to me that
what you wanted was the perl code to run on the SPARC64.

As far as bootstrapping, like I said, having generated
the system calls code and checked it in for bootstrap
purposes having been considered acceptable, I think
doing the same for vnode_if.[ch] would be just as
acceptable, and would solve your problem of bootstrapping
when perl was not available on the bootstrap target.

I think your argument actually boils down to removing
external dependencies in the bootstrap process.

OBHijack: Too bad this policy doesn't extend to gcc.

8-).

-- Terry