Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:06:01 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kerneld for FreeBSD

I personally, don't see the reason for having this sort of thing in embedded
devices, either, a lot of which have just exactly what they need to operate in
the kernel, leaving nothing to be loaded or unloaded. As far as the kerneld
stuff goes, the kernel obviously provides us with an interface with which to
load these drivers from whatever may use them, there probably isn't a need after
all for this sort of thing, so I'm done thinking about it, on to more pertinent
things...

Mike Smith had the audacity to say:
> Nobody in their right mind is going to produce a "really small ram"
> embedded system that features the sort of nondeterminism that
> "automatically" (read 'randomly') unloading modules would involve.
>
> It's simple; a kernel-module-handling-daemon does not have anything to
> offer us at this time.  We don't need one; the problems it might be
> applied to solve have already been solved differently, and we are
> (generally) happy with the results.
>
> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Coleman Kane
President,