Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:43:25 +0100
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@willow.raggedclown.intra>
Subject:   Re: Ok, KDE/Help .. after my moans what now ?

--Boundary-02=_tWxY+dTR/6Sh2C6

On Monday 03 March 2003 02.19, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Hello,
> Ok so portupgrde did not work in installing the latest KDE.
> I cannot get KDE to run at all.
> I get errors about libintl being missing.
> Plus a mysterious and new requirement to tell make I have a Matrox 450
> card.

That's not a requirement, it's an option, if you want special support for t=
hat=20
card from something that offers it.   Probably X itself, certainly nothing=
=20
related to KDE.

*What* says libintl is missing? which binary? there is no binary called "KD=
E",=20
something specifically must be giving these problems. =20

Does upgrading gettext help.  You *need* to keep your dependencies up to da=
te=20
as well as the port you're trying to upgrade, these things are not develope=
d=20
in a vacuum.

> Plus the fact I cannot even re-intall KDE from the 4.7 ISO CD's.
> I get the highly useful message "Error -1".

=46rom what? The CD-Rom drive? KDE? What KDE binary? From pkg_add? from=20
Portupgrade? from tcsh?  From Raelian clones?

Who knows.

> Now, correct me if I am wrong.
> The tag for ports should always be ".", since the do not follow any kind
> of upgrade system like the release does.
> Why does portupgrade try to find 4.8-PRELEASE ports ?
> This is nonsense.
> From where is it getting this idea ?

uname -a

Because you are trying to make it install packages, for a branch that doesn=
't=20
exist yet.  I honestly could explain this, but it would take more time than=
 I=20
have this precise minute, and wouldn't help you fix anything anyway. =20

So here's my "Lauri's rules to upgrading ports and stuff"

1: Don't mix pkg_add -r and portupgrade, you *will* have problems.  You can=
=20
mix "make install" and portupgrade, in most cases. =20

2: Run pkgdb -F before you try to do anything.  Follow it's instructions to=
=20
the letter.  *Fix* your pkgdb before you continue.  If you don't understand=
=20
what it's asking you, cut and paste what it says into an email and ask. =20
Don't give anecdotes or paraphrase the errors, if you do we *cannot* help=20
you.

3: Have an up to date portsdb -u.  Run it after every cvsup.  Most everyone=
=20
will advise you do "portsdb -Uu" and it won't hurt if you do, but it will=20
take exponentially longer.  You'll have a shiny up to date index out of it=
=20
though.  portsdb -u is the one that portupgrade needs to be up to date to=20
work effectively.
Ignore the complaints it makes about anything, you only have an actual prob=
lem=20
if it fails to complete it's run.
If it actually fails, cut and paste what it says into an email and ask.  Do=
n't=20
give anecdotes or paraphrase the errors, if you do we *cannot* help you.

4: Don't try to upgrade piecemeal if other ports are out of date.  The prob=
lem=20
you describe above probably relate to a out of date dependency ports, but I=
=20
can't be totally sure without the info from "pkg_info -Ia".   Don't=20
paraphrase that output, cut and paste it into an email, or I can't help you=
=20
(are you seeing a pattern here?)

*ALL* dependencies must be up to date, before you try to upgrade something=
=20
like KDE.    It probably won't build with an old version of anything that i=
t=20
depends on, and if it does, it might not work.  If you really have your=20
system in such a mess as I suspect, it's amazing anything is working.=20

You can get in a situation where a particular binary finds it is missing a=
=20
particular library dependency (your libintl problem) if you install a binar=
y=20
package that was built with a different *version* of the library than the o=
ne=20
you now have installed. =20

pkgdb -F will show you these as "stale dependencies", but it can't necessar=
ily=20
fix them, because this is something that can only be fixed by recompiling. =
=20

You have two choices:
4a: Recompile the affected binary package against the currently installed=20
version of the library,
4b: Reinstall packages of *both* the binary and the library, that were buil=
t=20
against each other.  =20

Taking that second option, will likely cause the problem to reappear in=20
anything else you've built locally.  This is precisely why I say don't mix=
=20
pkg_add and portupgrade/make install - use one way, or use the other, or be=
=20
prepared to spend endless hours fixing things by hand.

5: Report build problems with ports *to the maintainer* with the output of=
=20
"pkg_info -Ia", the output of "uname -a", the output of configure from the=
=20
affected port (run it again with script, if you must) and config.log from t=
he=20
wrkdir.  With these things, we stand a really good chance of diagnosing you=
r=20
problems.    Don't paraphrase any of the error logs, cut and paste them.  W=
e=20
really can't help you without them.

6: If you've done "make build" in a port and it fails, do this:
make clean
cvsup your ports
try it again
*BEFORE* you report a problem.

If you've done portupgrade in a port, do the above anyway.

If you really want your system fixed, and to understand how to safely upgra=
de=20
things in place, you need to learn how to complain and report problems=20
effectively.  I highly suggest the following pages as reading, right now,=20
before you go any further:

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way:=20
How to Report Bugs Effectively:=20
Writing FreeBSD Problem Reports: