Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:22:06 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which PCI Ethernet card ?

<<On Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:18:25 +1030 (CST), Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> said:

>> Incidentally, in a July 1995 review of 10-Mbit PCI NICs in "Network
>> Computing" this card tied the 3Com EtherLink III PCI for first place!

> I find that very amusing 8)  When you consider how meaningless those
> benchmarks really are, and that the 'ed' driver and a WD8013 is just
> as capable of totally saturating an ethernet as a PCI card is.

It is much more useful to look at 100-Mbit Fast Ethernet devices; we
still have a ways to go in this regard.  (I'm in the process of fixing
my fast UDP packet generator to work in my new networking interrupt
framework so that it can go faster than 15,000 packets per second.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.