Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:37:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU (Ken Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Requirements - Final Draft?

Hi,

First of all, you're doing a great job, Ken.  Thanks a bunch.
Here are a few comments of mine on the latest draft.

I am the maintainer of the FreeBSD mirror ftp7.de.freebsd.org,
which is on of the more popular mirrors in Germany, because
I always try to keep it as up-to-date as possible, especially
during release times.

Actually I would regard this mirror as a "primary" one, but
it somewhat differs from your definition of a primary mirror
site.  Let me explain.

First, it is a complete mirror, even with some additional
"bonus features" (e.g. daily -stable and -current snapshots).
We're carrying all platforms and all releases, even a few
more (e.g. 3.5.1/i386 which isn't on the master anymore).
Except for one detail:  I have opted to omit a few things
from the "branches" directory.  In particular, I removed the
extracted ports tree.  It is just a waste of space, inodes
and time, in my opinion.

Second, I am not syncing the whole /pub/FreeBSD from the
master every day.  I think that would be a waste, too.
I'm only syncing those parts regularly that change often,
e.g. the distfiles, packages for -stable and -current, and
similar things.

Those things that come once and never change (e.g. releases)
are mirrored manually, once they have been announced on the
hubs@ list.  Of course, I also watch out for "fixes" which
cause a release to be re-rolled, so I have to sync again.
That happened a few times in the past.  I usually re-sync
again a few days after the release, just to be sure, but
after that, I never sync that release again.

I usually start syncing a few minutes after the announcement
has been made on the list, so the mirror is as up-to-date as
it could possibly ever be.  :-)

Now tell me, Ken, would you disqualify ftp7.de.freebsd.org
as a "primary" mirror?  I'm curious ...  :-)

I think the important thing is _what_ stuff is on a mirror,
not how it got there.  And I think that ftp7.de is more up-
to-date than certain mirror sites which strictly comply with
your definition of a primary site.

Just my 0.02 Euro.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

"If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done
anything at all." -- God in Futurama season 4 episode 8