Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:59:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Thomas Runge" <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Michael C . Wu wrote:

> many people)  My understanding is that FreeBSD *wants* a FreeBSD/ARM,
> but lack the resources/man-power to do so.  I'd prefer to see an

There is a german saying "Schuster, bleib bei Deinen Leisten", which
means something like "Only do, what you are good at". FreeBSD is good
at the i386 side. Crossplatform is not really one of FreeBSD's
strongest sides.

Thats where NetBSD is *the* player. And there is a port to that
Compaq ipaq thingy almost finished. And to RiscPC and
DNARD (Shark) and CATS and Acorn A7000 and some intel developer
boards, just to mention (Strong)ARM based systems supported
by NetBSD.

At the end a FreeBSD port will be based on the NetBSD port. Why
should we split the BSD camp even more?

But thats just my humble opinion.

Btw. I run FreeBSD on my PC and NetBSD on my Shark. So, I do know
and love both sides.

--
Tom