Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:21:50 -0700
From:      Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new ports

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> Yes, there is.  You can go through each port, verifying that it is 'up
> to standards' (see the handbook), and mail in a gnats followup saying
> that you've done so and it is OK (or suggesting changes to the port to
> make it OK).  This makes it much easier for the committer, as he can
> feel much more confident of his own review.

What is "up to standards"?  In the Handbook it gives this process as a test:

     Testing the port

     You should make sure that the port rules do exactly what
     you want it to do, including packaging up the port. Try
     doing `make install', `make package' and then
     `make deinstall' and see if all the files and directories
     are correctly deleted. Then do a `pkg_add
     `make package-name`.tgz' and see if everything re-appears
     and works correctly. Then do another `make deinstall' and
     then `make reinstall; make package' to make sure you
     haven't included in the packing list any files that are
     not installed by your port.

Is this sufficient?  Is there anything else that I should check?
I'll be happy to test some this weekend.

> Eivind.

Thanks,
Jay
--