Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:34:37 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Subject:   Hardware booting problem

I encountered a situation today that I do not understand.  This is a =
very old i386 PC that does not have a usable CD drive.  The existing =
drive uses a very funky SCSI connector that I have nothing for.  The =
system disk is SCSI and there was one additional PATA drive used for =
additional storage.  The PATA drive failed.  It won't even stick around =
in /dev for more than a couple minutes after boot and there are lots of =
messages about bad sectors.  The data is completely backed up and the =
that drive is over 5 years old.

I removed the old drive and installed a new one.  System will not boot.  =
It hangs in the BIOS.  Never gets around to installing the SCSI BIOS.  =
My first guess was there was no boot sector on the SCSI drive.  That =
seems unusual since my other systems boot off the SCSI drives just fine. =
 This one used to also before I added the PATA drive.  However, if I put =
the dead drive back in along with the new one, then it boots.  This also =
implies that the boot sector was only on the PATA drive.  But the PATA =
drive is for all intents and purposes dead.  So how is it booting?  Is =
there any way to look into the SCSI drive and see if there is a boot =
sector there?

This is more a curiosity item as there are additional failures starting =
to occur in that computer.  We are going to replace it.  Its around 10 =
years old.