Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 09:26:01 -0500
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@lamprey.utmb.edu>
To:        stable@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux compatibility in -stable

I just thought I'd mention that Soren's linux compatibility
works just fine in -stable.  Thanks David!!

-stable is missing the directory /usr/src/lkm/linux.  Can we
add it from the FreeBSD-current source tree?

I'll look at writing a man page, but meanwhile here's my
notes.   Rich

Running Linux binaries on FreeBSD 2.1 (aka -stable):

Install a kernel whose configuration file contains:

    options "COMPAT_LINUX"
    options SYSVSHM

[you need SYSVSHM if you test the emulator using xdoom.]

Get a copy of the directory /usr/src/lkm/linux from the
FreeBSD-current source tree.

Install the loadable kernel module (LKM) and /usr/bin/linux:

    cd /usr/src/lkm/linux
    make all install

load the LKM (as root):

    linux

get the linux runtime libraries:

    mkdir /compat/linux
    cd /compat/linux
    ncftp ftp.freebsd.org:pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/linux-emu.tar.gz
    tar xzf linux-emu.tar.gz
    rm -rf usr lkm

Note that the README there says to unpack linux-emu.tar.gz
in the root directory.  The emulator will work just fine if
unpack it in /compat/linux instead.  Also, you only need the
shared libraries from this tar archvive since you've already
installed the LKM and /usr/bin/linux.

To test it, install linux doom:

    ncftp ftp.freebsd.org:pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/linux-doom-1.8.tar.gz
    tar xzf linux-doom-1.8.tar.gz
    cd doom-1.8
    ./xdoom

See also:
ftp.freebsd.org:/home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/README
/usr/src/sys/i386/ibcs2/README.iBCS2
NetBSD-current/src/share/man/man8/compat_linux.8