Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:58:05 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stolen BSD code found in Linux kernel

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > What would say even more is if you knew that there was a clock
> > rollover on the Linux uptime, and that a reboot was required to
> > work around it.
> =

> Lots of other systems aren't reliably reported.  As anyone would know
> if they read
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#whichos
> =

> And how exactly does a reboot "work around" a clock rollover?

Uh, "was required" is past tense.  The way it works around it
is by setting the 32 bit uptime back to zero, so that it doesn't
overflow and cause the box to puke.  Now it's 64 bits.  Rebooting
was also required for the switch from 32 to 64 bits.  8-).

> As for the subject line: the thing blew over in a day or two, as you'd
> know if you did minimal digging around via google -- eg,
>   http://www.bsdtoday.com/2001/September/News565.html

Uh, I was the first one who pointed out that the original posting
was a year past it's "sell by" date.

> And the linux header file hptraid.h, from any recent kernel which you
> can easily download from http://www.kernel.org, begins with the
> following:
> =

> /*-
>  * Copyright (c) 2000,2001 S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
> + the BSD license below it.
> =

> And I dug out all that in roughly 2 minutes.  Sheesh.

Which begs the Brett-like question of how the code can be BSDL'ed
and GPL'ed at the same time.

I think you are overreacting to Brett.

The reason I said it was probably a legitimate question is that
it may have been resolved in another forum, but it was posted
about in this one, and the results weren't posted *in this one*.

In any case, if Soeren doesn't pursue the matter, then no one
really cares.  Which is also why I said:

"The person to ask, though would be Soeren, since it was his
 code."

-- Terry