Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:23:00 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Thomas Connolly" <tpconnolly@frii.com>, <hawkeyd@visi.com>, "'Jack L. Stone'" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        "'Brian'" <bri@sonicboom.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card problem

From: "Thomas Connolly" <tpconnolly@frii.com>
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 4:15 PM

> I actually installed from CD and won't recognize my NIC.  I
selected the ed0
> NIC from sysinstall because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to
use for my
> card (Kingston KNE100TX - dc(4)).  When I got to the configuration
screen,
> there was no Ethernet card listed.  I am confused on what to do
next.  What
> I'm haring is that I have to install miibus, then I have to edit
> /etc/rc.conf.  Do I have that right?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Thomas Connolly

If you're using the GENERIC kernel, miibus should
already be enabled.  As to rc.conf, see below.

If you installed from CD, and therefore have a
working system, please post the output of:

$dmesg

If you're able, pipe it to a .txt file and attach
it, otherwise copy/paste to your email program.

$dmesg > attach.txt

That might show us if there is a problem at device
probe time.

It would be worth your time to look at /etc/rc.conf,
because it might be easy to spot if sysinstall actually
wrote the file using "ed0" instead of "dc0".  If so,
changing it would be a hurdle on our way to fixing
the issue.

You could also send us output from "ifconfig -a",
but it sounds as if that's already been decided,
and dc0 isn't in there.....

KDK