Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 08:47:36 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica" <compland@ism.com.br>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deleting a tree

Terry Lambert wrote:

> >    There's a way to delete a directory tree, without deleting all the
> > archives inside it ? Maybe a script file?
>
> What do you mean "without deleting all the archives inside it"?
>
> A directory is a container object.  To delete it, it must be empty.
> If it is not empty, you can not delete it.
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to delete.

Terry, I _think_ he is trying to do: rm -rd tree
I belive he is just miss stating what it is that he wants.
In an earlier messages he was shown a command to delete a
EMPTY tree structure, It failed because it had files in it!
He didn't want to go into each directory and delete the files before
deleteing the tree.

Although I may be wrong.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848