Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:16:42 -0800
From:      PM Lashley <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, David Holm <david@realityrift.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error building native jdk14 on 4.8-RC

--==========708748336==========

--On Sunday, March 09, 2003 19:26:15 -0800 Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>=20
wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Pat Lashley wrote:

>> It looks like these could take care of the problem running the Linux JDK
>> as a non-root user; but if I can get the native JDK 1.4.1 running I
>> shouldn't
>> need to run the Linux version.  And since I'm trying to build the native
>> version as root, the patches shouldn't have any effect.
>
>   Well, you need a jdk 1.4.x to build jdk1.4.1.  So you need the Linux =
jdk
> to bootstrap the native build.  Once you have a native build, and it
> works, you can use to make further builds of jdk1.4.1 (ex. for furture
> patch releases).

Yes; but the linux JDK works fine when I run as root; and I'm building the
native jdk14 port as root; so I shouldn't need the patches, right?

I've discovered that the problem actually appears to be a bogus complaint
about the '-td' parameter during the idl compiles.  All 269 of them...
They complain and pump out usage info; but don't return an error code that
will actually stop the make.  So what actually stops the make is when it
tries to access something that should have been generated but wasn't.

(And the quietly failing tasks are running the native java interpreter
from the build area...)

-Pat