Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:07:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.0?

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 04:50:08PM -0500, Brian Feldman wrote:
>
> > > This looks ominously like the linux_pipe patches have been spammed by
> > > something else.
> >
> > I see nothing referring to p->p_md.md_regs->tf_edx, so I see no reason why it
> > should have been saved.
> >
> >     int reg_edx;
> >     reg_edx = p->p_retval[1];
> >         p->p_retval[1] = reg_edx;
> >     p->p_retval[1] = reg_edx;
> > It's saving the value, but what's it got to do with edx?
>
> p->p_retval[1] writes to edx when returning to user space.  The
> FreeBSD pipe syscall writes to p->p_retval[1].  Linux glibc wraps
> the linux pipe syscall, and expects edx to be preserved when the
> pipe syscall returns.

Okay, that makes sense. Where is it noted what FreeBSD clobbers and what it
restores on leaving a syscall? And is it really a good thing? I mean, should
I expect all my registers to be exactly the same (well, I mean the generic
storage registers, not esp eip etc ;) on return of a syscall?

> --
> Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
> 5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450
> Chenequa WI 53058             fax:   414-367-5852

 Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
		      http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!		   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/