Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:35:19 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Richard Mace <macerl@telkomsa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help building/running SDL/OpenGL code

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:50:19PM +0200, Richard Mace wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 December 2009 19:31:31 you wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > What version of the nvidia driver are you using?
> >=20
>=20
> The one in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver-173. I have to use this for the a=
ging=20
> FX 5200.
>=20
> > Have a look at the x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau port. Maybe that works
> >  for you?
> >=20
> > (BTW, problems like these are why I avoid proprietary drivers like the
> >  plague)
>=20
> I'm rendering a whole bunch of molecules (spheres), moving a camera and a=
t the=20
> same time doing quite a bit of CPU intensive numerical integration of a w=
hole=20
> slew of coupled ordinary differential equations -- I need the speed of th=
e GPU=20
> (read proprietary driver) to relieve the CPU and avoid a slide show. (Thi=
s=20
> works very nicely with dual core CPUs: I use one thread for the rendering=
 and=20
> another for the numerics.)

In this case it might be better to invest in a more recent graphics
card. Currently Radeons (up to and including R6xx/R7xx) are better supported
by open source drivers than nvidia.=20

> I'll keep digging (and getting educated, I guess). Incidentally, in Debia=
n=20
> GNU/Linux they have a system of clever "diverts" which avoid these kinds =
of=20
> library clashes.=20

As far as I know, the compat libraries are meant to be able to keep using o=
ld
binaries on newer systems. I do not think they were ever meant to be used i=
n a
"mixed" (as in linking with both libm.so.3 and libm.so.5) environment.

=46rom experience (botched ports upgrade going from 6.x to 7) I know that h=
aving
a program linked to different versions of the same library can result in
"interesting" experiences (i.e. crashes).

There are several things you could try, from building your app and the
libraries it needs on a 5.x machine to trying to get the libGL to link with
the current libm. Whatever you do, it will probably end up being a kludge.

Roland
--=20

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--