Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:22:05 +0100
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Thilo Gelenk <TG@techsoft.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: source from FBSD2.2.2 decompressing

[re-directed from -hackers to -questions]

On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 04:55:20PM +0100, Thilo Gelenk wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I have bought the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CDs to get the source
> code. It is contained on the CD under /src, but I need to
> run "sh install.sh", what seems to be possible only under
> BSD (so I have first to install it).

The install.sh script is just a wrapper around a tar/gunzip command
(see below) - you can get by without it.

> - I am searching for a way to decompress all  source files  from Dir
>   /src   under  DOS/Windows  directly.
> -Or should I try to read the CD Rom in an UNIX machine (HP)
>  and then -  what is needed to uncompress the source
>  files ?

cat ssrc.?? | tar xzvf -

which will obviously be easier to do on a UNIX machine (and you will
have better tools available to examine the results as well); however,
there are free versions of cat, tar and gunzip for DOS, available from
any good Simtel archive.  (Note that the 'z' flag causes tar to pipe
its output through gunzip, even though gunzip is not explicitly
mentioned on the command line).

Another possibility is of course to reformat the DOS machine and put
FreeBSD on it :-)

Cheers
James

--