Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 03:38:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@nmti.com
Subject:   Re: Gritching about XFree86 and serial port naming

Hello.

Quoting from Bruce Evans (Wed Aug 30 03:07:16 1995):
> >Oh yeh, the docs should have something in big bold letters about linking
> >/dev/mouse to /dev/cuaa0 under whatever name it ends up as...
>
> That would be bogus.  X works with the vanilla POSIX port ttyd0 and
> always has.

I'd  not  say  it's  "bogus".  Maybe  it's redundant, or strictly
speaking "unnececessary", but as I suggested on -install I  think
many  many  users  would  be really happy in seeing their X setup
working by just typing in "/dev/mouse" in  the  pointer  section,
without  havin  to fiddle with this 'strange' (ok I know that for
*you* is simple, but you're not Joe User) naming scheme.

If  install  asked the user "which DOS 'com' port shall I use for
the mouse (1/2/3/4) [1]?  __", and linked /dev/mouse to  the  ap-
propriate  device,  I bet a lot of people would find FreeBSD much
more friendly in the first impression,  which  is  the  important
one.

And,  we  wouldn't read lots of e-mail about setting the mouse in
X, and why Linux works right out of the install (this is the rea-
son,  anyway: it links /dev/mouse to the appropriate device), and
why does this strange OS called U*ix use this  strange  numbering
scheme starting with 0 while all other serious OSes like (may God
forgive me :) DOS use 1 2 3 4 ...

Bye,
--
#        $Id: .signature,v 1.12 1995/08/14 12:10:54 piero Exp $
Piero Serini                                            Via Giambologna, 1