Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:26:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XForms based User Manager (alpha announce)

I am currently in the process of implementing an xforms-based user and
group manager for FreeBSD (and other BSD-style operating systems).  It
is current in pre-alpha testing (eg., a lot of things work), and will
shortly be in a public alpha testing (eg., most things work, but I make
not promises.)  As of this time it does not support NIS or kerberos, and
has very limited group management capabilities.  I would like to run a
limited public alpha test of the software before going to a wider beta,
as I have access only to a few FreeBSD systems to test it on.  My
expected release for the alpha is next Wednesday (I'm announcing ahead
so the message has time to propagate some over the various mediums of
relevance).  When it is available, it will be downloadable from:

http://www.watson.org/FreeBSD/userman2/

I will post a message to this group when its actually released.  It
should be noted that this software really is very alpha -- when I
release it, it will be at a point where most features seem to work
correctly on my personal test machines.  This says nothing of anyone
elses machine, so this should not be used on any large scale user
systems unless you're willing to risk the user database being corrupted,
and having to boot single user mode to copy old files over the new ones.

Questions can be emailed to robert@fledge.watson.org, or rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu.

Robert Watson
robert@fledge.watson.org
----