Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2014 14:06:56 +0100
From:      Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        marino@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?
References:  <CAHcXP%2Bf6e-t--XbQPTH1goJp_CL7P=zTj5trZVWd4YZ_EsO9gw@mail.gmail.com> <52E2FA36.5080106@marino.st> <CAHcXP%2BfRDeKXjz0_sifgzeXC2dA-eDnoV5NH1yvF2D6R8JRmAg@mail.gmail.com> <52E303CB.6020304@marino.st> <CAHcXP%2Be9p2HrQ=M9HmPecMbWtXRuYPzH9kwfLGqgdrUrhvLuEA@mail.gmail.com> <52E30990.2060903@marino.st> <CAHcXP%2BfQC-N4ZKpmpaCQSeYnw4WqOJ4T4pdsoMC6NpshsOm6sQ@mail.gmail.com> <52E398FF.9000300@FreeBSD.org>

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>wrote:

> On 25/01/2014 10:35, Big Lebowski wrote:
> >> Thus, are you volunteering for this role?  It's not my call, but if you
> basis,
> set
> that
> state
>
> > If I wouldnt care about FreeBSD and ports state and I wouldnt want to
> help
> > with that, I would have not wrote this message in first place. Yes, I
> would
> > love to help.
>
> There are a lot of people who would love to help with FreeBSD, and there
> is a lot of help that FreeBSD needs.  The problem is that anyone
> volunteering probably only has a limited amount of time they can donate
> to the project, and there exists at the moment no simple mechanism for
> dividing up the workload into small, easily digestible chunks.
>
> Take the case of PR triage, often cited as a suitable track for people
> to start getting involved.  Say we get about 300 new PRs in a week.
> What we need is 20--50 people looking at 6--15 PRs a week, rather than
> 2--5 people trying to look at 60--150 PRs a week.  Trouble is, the first
> few people to volunteer will find themselves drinking from the PR
> firehose, and will probably give up long before enough additional people
> can be drummed up to share the load.

Does it have to be all-or-nothing situation, where we can do something only
if we have 20-50 people looking at 6-15 PR's a week, and we cant do
anything if we dont? Cant we start with 2-3 people (3 people so far
volunteered to do so, and I belive a 'call to arms' via this
list/announcements/bsdnow.tv/reddit would result in may others willing to
help) doing as much as they can?

Also, what about some kind of 'junior commiter' role, where solid port
maintainers get rights to commit to their ports only? If that would be
doable, we could offload a lot of work from current commiters to work on
other things.

B.