Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:36:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, mark@linus.demon.co.uk, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> (tree) variable if make knows nothing about object trees.  The reason
> for putting this knowledge in make is that builtins are easier to use.
> Getting the current behaviour using the old MAKEOBJDIR semantics would
> involve lots of substitutions:

Yes.  I actually tried this yesterday in an attempt to placate folks
and, after about an hour, gave up due to the fact that it was about
5 times twistier and obfuscated than what we had before! :-)

> Hmm, this isn't very hard.  Put this in bsd.src.mk (a new file that
> centralizes common stuff for building /usr/src) and avoid touching make(1)
> or *.mk.  Why did the old way use all those shell commands with pwd's? :-)

It sounds like you've already got a grand architecture in your head
here, so go for it Bruce!  I'm behind you all the way! :-)

						Jordan