Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:44:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FibreChannel for SAN supported?

Qlogic 210X && 220X cards are supported. The support is better in FreeBSD 4.0,
but some time within a week or so, 4.0 Qlogic support will be synchronized
back to the 3.X and 2.X.

Local loops are supported- this gives you a fat SCSI bus up to 125 targets.

If you enable SCSI_ISP_FABRIC, fabric support is enabled (via FCP-2 Simple
Name Server protocols). This works better for the Qlogic 220X cards, but
QLA210X have been known to work on fabrics if you use Brocade switches.
The approach taken here is that the first 124 devices found on the fabric are
logged into and specifically bound to SCSI 'target' ids 129..254. There is no
support at this time for larger fabrics or explicit WWN/PortID binding.

I strongly recommend either a switched or a switched-loop environment if
you're going to be running a reliable SAN.

Feel free to contact me directly (I'm the HBA author) for more on this.

As far as I know, there *is* additional FC/SAN support (via DPT's I2O
controllers) but is only available for FreeBSD 2.X.

-matt