Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:38:38 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, java@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG, kevlo@FreeBSD.ORG, knu@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for changing bsd.port.mk and adding bsd.java.mk (+ruby)

At 6:44 PM +0100 2/25/02, Ernst de Haan wrote:
>Garance,
>
>>  >It is loosely modelled after bsd.ruby.mk.
>>
>>  I should note that bsd.ruby.mk has a few rough edges, and it
>>  needs to be fixed up.
>
>That's why it's *loosely* modelled after bsd.ruby.mk ;-)
>
>The bsd.java.mk file is very simple in its current form, so my
>guess is that whatever your problems are with the bsd.ruby.mk,
>they probably don't apply to the bsd.java.mk. :)

I'm being pestered with "emergency" phone calls at the moment,
so my last message wasn't as useful as it should have been.  I
should have done a bit more checking into the problem, and at
least described what the problem was!

This will seem a bit contorted, but it's a trap I fell into one
time by mistake, and it took me quite awhile to figure out how
I got there and how to get out of it...

If you go into a port like 'portupgrade', and do a 'make', you
will see some familiar-looking messages such as:

    Warning: Object directory not changed from original
            /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/work/pkgtools-...

A person *might* then be tempted to do something like:

     make clean
     make extract
     cd work/pkgtools-20020204
     make obj
     cd ../..       # back to the sysutils/portupgrade level
     make

[at the time I was trying to figure out a different problem
with portugprade, so in my situation it wasn't quite as crazy
to do that 'make obj' as it seems in this message...  :-)  ]

At this point, 'make's done at the port-level will fail with various
weird errors.  I got as far as making a patch to bsd.ruby.mk which
solved some of those problems, and then I ran into a problem which
was too complicated for me to figure out at the time.

While it may be a bit odd to do the 'make obj', the warning messages
certainly imply that it would be reasonable to do, and the target is
recognized and does work.  But if that 'make obj' is done, then the
port will no longer work.

So, you might want to check this new bsd.java.mk, and see if it has
this same problem as bsd.ruby.mk does.