Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 21:13:23 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        dnelson@emsphone.com, erik@usishealth.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV warning with sysinstall ?

> >> No, I havn't tracked down the last couple of causes of this, but I
> >> will try to reproduce it as you describe it with some debugging added.
> >
> >How hard would it be to print the filename (or the device/inode) that
> >triggers the warning?
>
> Not at all (warning: cut&pasted patch, tabs are screwed up!)

A similar message is in /sys/miscfs/specfs/spec_vnops.c now. Anyway,
there is still at least one case of devices being opened in block mode
in the *kernel*, namely the following VFS_MOUNT call at line 215 of
vfs_mountroot_try() (/sys/kern/vfs_conf.c):

	error = VFS_MOUNT(mp, NULL, NULL, NULL, curproc);

Typical message:

May 13 20:36:29 bp6 /kernel: Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1d
May 13 20:36:29 bp6 /kernel: Device char-major=116 minor=131075 opened in block mode, convert to char mode with /dev/MAKEDEV before 2000-07-01

(Yes, I have -current root on ad0s1d, and -stable root on ad0s1a.)