Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:42:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        Jan Pfeifer <janpf@iname.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: allow users to mount CD

keith@mail.telestream.com writes:
> I'm a TOTAL nfs/amd newbie but wouldn't it also be possible to setup amd
> to mount the cd with the proper perms on it, having nfs/amd basicaly do
> the perms according to what's in your /etc/exports file?

Well, if you wanted to mount the cdrom via NFS from your local host,
you could certainly do that. You might even be able to convince amd to
mount the thing locally (I've been avoiding amd for the last 8
years). If there was something like Linux's autofs available, that
would have a similar effect.

But that's an awful lot of mechanism for what's essentially a simple
problem. Basically, the reason users can't mount cdroms is security
features; just setting those to a less secure mode solves the problem.

	<mike