Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:58:06 -0700
From:      Janet Sullivan <ciscogeek@bgp4.net>
To:        moron <moron@industrial.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DMA related disc issues

moron wrote:

> I look after a community server which has been running just fine for the last
> 6 months or so with no disk issues at all.  The box has an all in one Shuttle
> motherboard which uses the VIA 8233 ATA133 disk controller according to what
> I see from dmesg.  The main drive is a 30 gig Maxtor and I very recently
> added an 80 gig Seagate to the second IDE bus.  There is also a CDROM sharing
> the primary IDE bus with the main drive.
[...]
> Sep 26 05:59:35 www /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> resetting
> Sep 26 05:59:35 www /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: DMA limited to
> UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
>
> After a few of these the machine stops being able to access its drives and
> eventually either reboots or hangs.

Before you added the new drive, was the CD-ROM sharing the primary IDE
bus with the main drive, or was it on the secondary channel?  I'd guess
it used to be on the secondary channel?  If you disconnect the CD-ROM
and enable DMA, do you have any problems?  Do you have ATA66 cables to
all devices?