Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 09:55:23 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "David S. Geirsson" <andmann@andmann.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Evil ports!

"David S. Geirsson" wrote:

> Erhm... no, it isn't. For example, the editor "jed" doesn't require X.
> However, it is packaged with xjed, which is an X frontend. IIRC you had to
> change a #define in the makefile to disable xjed.

Understood. I'd be curious to know how many ports fit into that
category.
See my other post regarding researching software before installing.
Also, when you consider all the sofware that someone could complain
should have a global variable like that, the magnitude of iplementing
such a system, let alone maintaining it, gets considerable.