Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 02:00:26 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        InsaneX556@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with installing from MS-DOS partition/floppy.

InsaneX556@aol.com wrote:

> This is a pretty bad problem. I rawcopied the boot.flp file to the boot disk
> and it works perfectly. I am trying to install from an MS-DOS (Win95)
> partition. I copied all of the bin files into the c:\freebsd\bin directory
> and tried installing. The program installs all the partitions and everything
> is fine, until it gets to the copy/slash stage. Once the install program
> reaches about 120K of the first file it quits with an error message that
> there's an error writing the files. This problem is especially weird, because
> it actually READS from the partition, so it can't be a problem with
> recognizing the partition. I am trying to install from a Western Digital 2.5G
> EIDE hard drive onto a partition that is on the last 500M of the hard drive.
> I tried a floppy installation, but it doesn't even recognize the files on the
> floppy as the bin distribution files. Someone please help, I need to install
> the system FAST! Thanks for your help.

Would you happen to know your drive geometry, and the cluster size
of your DOS partition?  (The cluster size is the "allocation unit"
size reported by 'chkdsk'.)

Some problems have been reported when using FreeBSD to access DOS
partitions (particularly with large cluster sizes) on 64 head, 63
sector IDE drives.

--
Robert Nordier