Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 11:44:12 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Ed Hudson <elh_fbsd@spnet.com>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Ed Hudson <elh@spnet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general speed differences between 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE

Thus spake Ed Hudson (elh_fbsd@spnet.com):

> 	for my money, hw.ata.wc=1 soft updates OFF is a better performing
> 	choice than hw.ata.wc=0 and soft updates ON.
> 	(soft updates are great, but i really dislike the performance
> 	stalls that it (or async mode) engenders with big copies/etc
> 	for other processes).

Well, that must be decided on situtation by situation.
Most people read a much bigger amount of data than they actually
write, and the small amount of data they write is then (almost!)
guaranteed to be consistent.

For webservers, were only few changes to the static pages are made,
this mode is the correct behaviour, for newsservers it's probably not.

The way it's done at the moment is ok, IMO.

Alex
--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory