Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2017 19:58:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        mexas@bris.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bluetooth help

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 18:22:34 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> From freebsd@edvax.de Sun Apr  2 18:04:42 2017
> >
> >On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:54:41 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >> The handbook talks about "bluetooth usb dongles".
> >> So do I need some other hardware to get my bluetooth to work?
> >> Or am I missing the point?
> >
> >The term "USB dongle" refers to Bluetooth devices connected
> >per USB, like "Bluetooth sticks for USB". In case your laptop
> >has builtin Bluetooth, it's usually represented to the system
> >as an "internal USB component", comparable to SD card readers
> >or touchpads / trackpoints which identify themselves as USB
> >components even though they are connected internally. So from
> >the technical side, it doesn't matter if the BT device is
> >internal or external, as it is clearly identified as a USB
> >component.
> >
> >Read: All the same. ;-)
>
> Cool...
>
> Sorry to be dumb, but I'm still not clear if I'm only
> a few config steps from a working bluetooth, or something
> is broken/missing.
>
> I'm just following the handbook, and hit this error:
>
> # service bluetooth start ubt0
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth: ERROR: Unable to setup Bluetooth stack for device ubt0
>
> not sure what to do next.

Same here: ;-)

I do not own any bluetooth-related hardware, but I just checked
on my Lenovo R61i and it also has a comparable device:

ubt0: <Broadcom Corp BCM2045B, class 224/1, rev 2.00/1.00, addr2> on usbus0

With the commands you provided, I get exactly the same response.
However, I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to do... ;-)

I'm not sure if it is related, but there is no /dev/ubt0 or
/dev/ubt0hci device. Does it need to be initilized somehow?
If I run "usbconfig", I see the Broadcom device is ugen0.2,
so I tried to use that device for the "service" command, but
just got an "unsupported sevice" error, which probably is the
correct response to be expected...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany