Date:      Sat, 06 Apr 2002 11:39:08 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: %j length modifier in kernel printf

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>
> > I've implemented the %j and %z (named %Z (for now?), since %z is
> > signed hex) length modifiers in the kernel printf().  The patch below
> > has been tested on i386, and appears to work okay.  My primary concern
> > with it is breaking sign extension stuff; I've run tests to check that
> > I didn't break it completely, but it's very possible that I still
> > missed some corner cases.
>
> I don't like the restructuring of the code (lm functions).  I think
> the kernel kvprintf should be much like the userland __vfprintf except
> for not having support for floating point (yet?) or the positional
> parameters bloat (ever).  Are the significant complications for the
> extra formats in the kernel printf?

I didn't see any particular reason to model it on __vfprintf (besides
that it might have been less work, but it didn't appear to be so to
me).  The latter needs to be concerned with things that the kernel
printf doesn't care about (you mentioned floating point stuff and
positional parameters), so is likely to be more complicated than the
kernel printf needs to be.  Therefore, keeping them in sync won't buy
is much since they'll always be significantly different.

What didn't you like about the lm functions?  I admit they aren't
pretty, but the *ARG() macros in __vfprintf are hardly better.  Is
this the only part that you thought was unlike __vfprintf?

Thanks.