Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:02:54 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, Marc Giannoni <marc@versa.eng.comsat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console Switchboxes

At 07:20 AM 1/4/99 , rick hamell wrote:
>> Is there a way to make this work with some software or console
>> configs?  Why does the keyboard die like this anyway?
>
>	It's a bug in the TX chipset. (I assume TX, the problem is most
>prevalent there.) It's a hardware issue and is totally unrelated to
>FreeBSD in any way.

Er...no. I think the keyboard controller chip is separate from the chipset
(pretty sure I'm right). It's just motherboard-model/manufacturer
dependent. I have an Intel Endeavor motherboard (FX chipset, not that it
matters) which works fine with the cheapo console switch I'm using. I used
to use a non-name 486 board which had to have the keyboard switched to it
for the OS boot. After that I could switch away and back.

I suggest you get the more expensive switchbox anyways. I have a cheapo
mechanical switchbox that's losing some pins on the switch. It's nearly
impossible to get accurate colors any more...I'm usually missing red or
green or blue (not too bad because I don't run X on either computer). At
work, we have a 4-position switchbox (same manufacturer) which has only
been in use a few months and I can't get all of the keyboard signal lines
to switch properly. (my switchbox at home has been in use for over a year now)

Get yourself a nice non-mechanical switchbox. You'll end up doing so in the
future when the cheap one becomes unusable.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )