Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 09:34:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>
To:        "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DHCPD bug

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Carroll, D. (Danny) wrote:

> :> Nice and prudent.
> :
> :Sheesh.  Nice would have been sending their patch to Ted when they
> :discovered it back in 2000.
>
> True....
>
> But my point is, maybe a simple sed or perl script ran over the source
> might yeild other potential problems?

I agree with your point.  My point is, if they don't report bugs as
they find them back to the maintainers then a) they're going to have
to keep patching the same bugs every time they integrate new versions
of code brought in from other projects, and b) noone else benefits
from their having found the bug and it continues to exist until someone
else finds it.

They are of course free to report or not report bugs as they choose, but
in a case like this where they're using and benefitting from someone
else's work I'd say not reporting violates the spirit of open source
development.

-Mitch