Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:57:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: VMware 1.1 for Linux on the FreeBSD

> > I think, currently we are have a much more important leaks.
> >   - virtual networking
> >   - fullscreen mode
> >   - floppy disk detection
> >   - serial ports
> >   - support for other hardware: parallel port, sound card
>
> Ok.  Sounds like a reasonable set of priorities.  I would add "correct
> detection of available memory", since it's claiming that only 32MB is
> available on a 128MB machine.
We are really need good emulation for the linux procfs. At this time
before vmware executable started, shell script located at
/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/fakeprocfs.sh create some files, with
hardcoded contents.

As temporary solution, it may be have a sense to obtain values for these
files via sysctl.

> However, I'm currently having no luck with the configuration editor
> either; I can successfully edit the configuration, but when saving it
> VMware dies with
>
> (USER) Exiting on unexpected signal.
> Panic without a VM
>
> after writing just one line to the configuration file:
It's sounds like the problem with linux emulator. Sometime I was encountered
the same problem. (This problem encountered before vmware ever trying to open
/dev/vmmon).

> #!/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware

Try to load this configuration, and tune the parameters, then write back.
I never encounter problems when overwritten existing configuration. Sounds
funny, isn't it?

> I note also that you don't install vmware setuid.  Probably a good idea,
> but one that will trip a few people up.
It's depend from emulation linux procfs. To have a world writeable
/compat/linux/proc, it's not so good idea, I mean.

> BTW, having looked more closely at the test you use for detecting whether
> the right linux module is loaded I'm not so sure it's entirely good: it
> does presume that the kernel sources are installed and that the running
> linux module was built from /sys.  However, I can't come up with a better
> simple solution, so I'm not going to complain. 8)

It's not the test to right linux emulator, but this is a test to right source
code. Testing to right linux emulator is pretty simple: build small dummy
kld, and try to load them, if it loaded succesfull this mean that we are have
right version of the linux emulator and vice versa.

Vladimir Silyaev.