Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 15:33:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      torstenb@ramsey.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> What you've seen as behind-the-door commits in these two occasions
> (/var/mail and ld.so.conf) are not the result of some secret vendor
> cabal...

Maybe, maybe not. My Problems with those two cases:
- both requests came from the same vendor
- there was no discussion before the commit happened
- they're bad examples and might result in a bad signal to other vendors.
  If we continue with this (adding features without "asking") other vendors
  will do the same...

> On these two occasions, the subsequent flame wars which erupted were
> characterised more by their heat than by their light, and as I don't
> have a lot of time for highly emotional arguments which serve no
> reasonable purpose other than to piss all over some feature without
> proposing a reasonable, concrete solution to the same problem, or are
> driven by what seems to be some greater need to harp endlessly on some
> diversionary topic of convenience rather than spending the energy more
> constructively working on real (and harder) problems, I basically
> switched off it after a few days.

Another Problem with such "features": As soon as you have at least one
release with it, it becomes hard to replace it with a better but different
and incompat. method. _This_ causes our _users_ problems and this is the reason
why we should think about it before a commit.

Dunno about Satoshi, but I am worried about the recent commits. In both
cases the requests came from XiG and they "need" it for CDE.

Maybe this will cause a real flame war, but...
I think one of the reasons why both requests were accepted is the FreeBSD/CDE
bundle.

I don't have anything against companies making money with FreeBSD and/or
their own software (I even do it myself), but I expect those people to use
existing mechan.  (/usr/{local,X11R6}/etc/rc.d is one of them) or fix a
bug (/var/mail).

 -tb

--
Torsten Blum, Friedensstraße 13a, 82110 Gemering, Munich, Germany

"Wow, die Leute hier von DEC schreiben Ihre Dokumentation mit LaTeX...
 Ich bin im gelobten Land... Es gibt also die kommerzielle - PC und M$
 freie Welt"                                         -- Arne Steinkamm