Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:01:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us (Alan Lundin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/init.d/

> I guess I don't see what the problem with the
> current system is.  Currently you can have one
> script (assuming you have NFS mounting it amoung
> N machines) that says:
>
>    case `hostname` in
>    $SERVER)	<startup httpd>
> 		;;
>    esac
>
> where if it is moved to /etc/rc.d, then you must
> maintain N scripts, AND you stand more of a chance
> that those scripts will get clobbered on the next
> OS upgrade.

What if I *want* to clobber the scripts for upgraded facilities
when I upgrade the facility?

What if I want to upgrade some facilities, but not others?  I
guess you'd have me editing up my rc file so that I couldn't
upgrade without editing it again (big hassle).

The other side of the coin is, when I install the HTTP server,
I want startup and shutdown sequences placed in my startup
and shutdown sequences, automatically, without me having to
edit an rc file there, either.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org