Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:07:29 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Uli writes:

> No. Piracy is not a major problem in Europe.

Piracy rates for Western Europe are about 40% higher than they are for North
America; overall, more than a third of software products in Western Europe are
pirated (versus 25% for North America).  Eastern Europe has the worst piracy
rates in the world, at about 75%.  Asia and Latin America are tied at about 60%.
The rates for North America are the lowest of any region in the world.

The dollar losses are about the same for both North America and Western Europe.
Americans don't cheat nearly as much, but they buy a lot more software overall.

> No. Dishonesty is not a cultural institution
> in Southern Europe.

I'm afraid this isn't true.  The piracy rates for France, Italy, Portugal, and
Spain are 39%, 44%, 47%, and 53%, respectively.  The rates for Finland, Germany,
and Norway are 30%, 27%, and 37%, respectively.

> Italy is one of the worst offenders
> Italy is a state and not a person.

Irrelevant.  Actually, however, Italy is in fifth place (my mistake):  The
leading offender is Greece, with a staggering 71% of software stolen rather than
paid for; in second and third place are Spain (53%) and, surprisingly, Ireland
(51%).

> as the actual numbers prove?

Yes.  See above.  These are BSA/SIIA figures for 1999.  They are down from
preceding years, but still pretty bad.  Even in the United States, the
best-behaved of the lot, one person in four has stolen the software he is using.

> oh - as you recall.

See above.  My recollection is pretty good.