Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 02:21:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to route a single box into a subnet

Hello,

We have a /24 subnet (let's call it 1.2.3.0), and for some
technical reason there is one machine (1.2.3.55) that has
to be routed through another machine (1.2.3.44).

The router (.44) runs FreeBSD -stable and has two network
interfaces -- one is connected to the rest of the network,
and the other is connected directly to the .55 machine (via
a crossed TP cable).  The .55 machine has only one network
interface, and it's running various operating systems (W95,
Linux, FreeBSD).

What is the easiest way to do such a setup?  Of course,
the .55 box should have full internet access.  All IPs are
static, no dial-up.  It is not possible to change the
configuration of other boxes or gateways on the network,
i.e. the routing has to be "hidden" -- I guess that means
that an arp proxy is required.

At first, I tried to setup the two interfaces of the router
machine like this:

   1.2.3.44   netmask 255.255.255.0     (the "outer" one)
   1.2.3.45   netmask 255.255.255.255   (the "inner" one)

and then enable IP forwarding, and run choparp (from ports/
net) as a proxy arp server.  However, it just didn't work.
A simple "ping" resulted in error messages from the arp
resolver ("could not allocate llinfo" or similar -- I can
reproduce it and copy the exact error message if someone
wants to see it).  I guess it's because the kernel doesn't
like that the .55 box was not within the network of the .45
interface of the router (even though the router had a static
route for that box, of course).

So, what should I try next?  Using "private" address spaces
(e.g. 10.x.x.x) between the two boxes, and ipnat on the
router to translate it to the normal .55 address?  I still
need an arp proxy in that case, don't I?  (I've never done
anything with ipnat or NAT in general before, so I'm a bit
unsure.)

Thanks in advance for any hints and suggestions!

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)