Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 19:49:04 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        docs@freebsd.org
Cc:        dgl@bsdi.com, jim@cdrom.com, papowell@astart.com, wpaul@freebsd.org, ceren@magnesium.net, ryan@ryan.net, murray@bsdi.com
Subject:   The docs go to Usenix

Hi guys,

   *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***

   The main reason I'm doing this is so that it can act as a springboard for
   anyone else who's interested to get down and contribute.  I'm already
   swamped with work, and I get the impression sometimes that people are
   nervous of contributing for fear of stepping on my toes, as if the doc
   project was my own private domain.

   That's emphatically not the case.  If you want to work on any of the
   projects I'm going to describe in the next few messages, please step
   forward and say so.

   About the only thing I would ask is that you commit to producing stuff for
   review every so often so that I (and anyone else) can comment before you
   (potentially) invest a lot of time in something that might be implemented
   another way -- peer review, and all that.

   *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***

"Join up" they said.  "Come to Usenix" they said, "it'll be fun, glamourous,
and exciting!"

I'm trying hard to remember this as I sit in LA airport waiting for my flight
back (current delay, three hours and counting).

Anyway, this gives me as good an opportunity as any to write up a report
on what happened at Usenix that was -doc related.  During the discussions a
number of different project ideas came up.  I'm going to split these
up in to several different messages, so that each project can get a message
thread of its own.

Anyway, some meta-discussion.  At Usenix I got the opportunity to meet up with
Debbie Lidl (now responsible for BSDi's documentation), Jim Mock
("Mr. Handbook" for the past six months or more), Patrick Powell (author of
LPRng, and interested in contributing), Bill Paul (fingers all over the
networking code, and interested in working on the website), Ceren Ercen
("FreeBSD's Strange Attractor", interested in contributing), and Ryan (damn,
don't know your last name, it's depressing when you only know people by their
e-mail address, also interested in contributing).

I also managed to miss (due to more flight delays) Murray Stokely, also
from BSDi, who's been looking at some doc stuff.

I've cc'd all of them on these messages.