Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:02:50 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        mtts <adm@gus.orgus.ru>, FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trouble

On Mon 1998-09-07 (22:21), mtts wrote:
> Some not very friendly people told us that our EMAIL-servser has a hole
> in securety.

That's possible, there have been two security problems in the past few
months - one with the bind name server (which affected most unix operating
systems), and another with qpopper, the POP3 daemon used in default FreeBSD
installs.

> Can You tell us what kind of problems may be with it and how to solve them.

Solve them:

Use cvsup (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html) to update your ports
collection, and install the new popper port.  Alternatively, install the
package, which you should be able to find on the FreeBSD ftp site,
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/, somewhere.

To solve the bind problem is a bit more complex, you may want to disable bind
if at all possible, otherwise solving it involves installing the bind8
port/package, or using cvsup to upgrade your sources to a later version.
Info on this is all available in the handbook -
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner