Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 20:42:45 -0700
From:      Kevin Sexton <sexton@serasystems.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Ware - Drive Failure but no mail!

To FreeBSD'ers,

I have a system with a Tyan S2510 mainboard and an Escalade 6410 with a
pair of 30GB drives loaded with FreeBSD 4.3.

I have installed the 3dmd binary into /sbin, the 3dmd.conf file into /etc
and modified it as such (note: SERVER is my actual mail server IP I am just
obscuring a good part of it):

-------------------
3dmd.conf
-------------------
EMAIL Yes
SERVER xx.xxx.xxx.124
SENDER Serabox-3DM
RCPT sexton@serasystems.com
AUDIO No
CALL3WARE No
PORT 1080
FW 30
HELP /usr/local/doc/3dm
SNMP No
PASSWORD No
KEY OmwmsK8lKk2
-------------------

3dmd starts at boot and I do have a twe0 device in /dev. The web interface
works just dandy.

When I yank a drive, I get a message print to the console and the web
interface also quickly notes I have a failure.  This is great.  My problem
is that the system does NOT e-mail me when I have a drive failure.  The
really strange thing is that when I use the "Send Test Message" under
"Configuration" I get an e-mail saying it is working!  So this means to me
my configuration works it is just that the failure is not flipping the
switch to send an e-mail.  Anyone see anything obvious?  Anyone have this
problem as well?  I would be happy to provide more info.  Thank you very
much for your help.

Sincerely,

Kevin

--