Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:26:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018754785.979b5f@mired.org>
To:        jmmills@telocity.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hello, some 'newbie-Q'

In <20020408152804.GA25427@bsdprophet.org>, jmmills@telocity.com typed:
> I installed the FreeBSD-4.0 which comes with R.Blum's _Running_qmail_ book
> and have basic system, X11, and net functions. I plan to remove that
> version and restart with the -4.5 CD's I downloaded from the FreeBSD
> server, before investing too much work in an outdated version. If my
> questions have different answers with 4.5, that would be great to know.
>
> So, those first questions:
> Q1) I see from my 'GENERIC' kernel configuration file (and the FreeBSD
>  _Bible_) that I may not have my IDE controllers working on an interrupt
>  basis. (Program startup does seem a bit ... er ... "leisurely.")
>
>  Do I have to rebuild the kernel to change the IDE controllers' "flags=",
>  or can this be configured at boot with the 4.0/GENERIC kernel image I've
>  got? If I can keep the current kernel, can I make IDE interrupt-mode
>  automatic on reboot?

I'm not sure how to fix it in 4.0. In 4.5, the driver sets the I/O
mode to the highest that it believes the hardware can safely
handle. There is also a sysctl that lets you change each device
independently if it's wrong. If you're still having problems after the
upgrade, ask again.

> Q2) I wish to use 'ssh' for my net login, and I hit a couple of bumps
>  installing it.
>
>  A) Before trying 'ports', I had first downloaded, built and installed
>  both 'openssl-0.9.??' and 'openssh-3.1p1' from those two organizations'
>  archives, to have the latest packages. No obvious problems showed at
>  building nor installing. Keys build OK and 'sshd' seems to start OK, but
>  I fail logins due to not having PAM. What's the best way around this?
>
>  Is this just the first of several commonly-hit problems with a non-port
>  installation?

Ssh was bundled into the base system as soon as it became legal to do
so. Going to 4.5 will have ssh installed for you.

>  B) The 'ports' "make build" of 'security/openssh' complains of missing
>  'cyrpto'. I did the "X-Developer" installation and opted for MD5
>  passwords. Did this prevent installation of the 'crypto' package? In any
>  case, how do I obtain and install an appropriate lib set, while retaining
>  MD5 passwords on login?

It may have. I'm not sure of the status of the crypto part of the
source tree. Again, just update to 4.5, and the problems should go
away.

	<mike