Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:40:43 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arplookup llinfo

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 09:31:39AM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > Since I enabled a ppp-over-tcp link into this box, I've been getting the
> > following errors:
> >
> > Sep 17 16:31:40 hellcat /kernel: arplookup 192.168.72.178 failed: could not a
> > llo
> > cate llinfo
> > Sep 17 16:31:40 hellcat /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 192.16
> > 8.7
> > 2.178rt
>
> Thanks to Ruslan for his assistance.  This was caused by a
> configuration error on my part.  A route to the LAN at the remote end
> was added statically to the local host, plus (due to the "add HISADDR"
> entry in the the ppp.conf file) was being added and deleted dynamically
> by ppp whenever the link came up/went down.  Having two routes to the
> one net, one via tun0 and one via xl0, was confusing the arp system.
>
> The easy fix was to delete the static route and let ppp add and delete
> the route as necessary.  The only cost of this is packets destined for
> the remote LAN bouncing between the local host and the default router
> whenever the ppp link is down.

You can still have the static route via ethernet before PPP link is up,
then change the route via PPP with `add! LAN HISADDR' in ppp.linkup and
then change this route back via ethernet in ppp.linkdown when PPP link
comes down.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,