Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:06:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Tremayne Smith <tre@hicksequipment.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRCD?

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Tremayne Smith wrote:

> Sorry for the lack of info.
>
>     I am running FreeBSD 4.0, Apache 1.3.12, and php4.  I'd like to host a
> chat room locally.  I've tried phpIRC and the IRC port. The phpIRC gives me a
> connection failed error, but that's off topic.  The IRC port installs with no
> errors, but when I goto /usr/sbin to start the daemon, nothing happens.
>     I'm not sure if this is enough info, that is why I'd appreciate any
> literature or tutorial or advice which may help me from ground zero.  Once
> again the overall goal is to be able to host a chat, allowing users to
> communicate in real time.  Thanks again.

If it's /usr/ports/irc/irc, then you're using the 2.10.x ("ircnet")
ircd. It will not run out of the box--no ircd will. You have to configure
it, which in most cases can be done fairly easily by adapting the
example.conf file that comes with it to your local reality. As far as I
know, the only printed resource regarding ircd configuration is a chapter
in my book (see signature). Start looking for on-line resources at
http://www.irc.org/techie.html and http://www.irchelp.org/ircd/, they're
pretty scarce.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/