Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:46:12 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (repost) cannot read windows share

Lane wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 19:34, 张韡武 wrote:
>>         This is a re-post, I am getting desperate because my work
>>         require me to connect to this share and my colleague can mount
>>         the share on Debian. I will have to move to install Debian if I
>>         wish to go on working... But I am already used to my BSD. It's
>>         too strange to move to another OS for such a tiny problem! Could
>>         what I mention below be a bug of FreeBSD mount_smbfs?
>>
>> Using FreeBSD 6.1, I can mount a windows share but the Chinese
>> characters in folder and file names look junk text to me. Charset
>> conversion (-E parameter of mount_smbfs) do not work at all. If I do
>> ls(1) to a directory that has Chinese character in its name, the process
>> 'ls' will take about 80% CPU resource and hang there forever. Ctrl+C
>> cannot stop it (kill -KILL can). If I run other command that read any
>> file in the directory that has Chinese character in its name, that
>> application hangs there taking about 80% CPU resource too.
>>
>> This process is better illustrated with this screenshot:
>> gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/I/users/weiwu/mount_chinese_smbshare.png
>>
>> In the screenshot, I do have mounted the share with -E parameter which
>> should convert GB18030 folder names to UTF-8 but
>> actually no conversion is done (see the ls | iconv which shows what it
>> should be looking like if the conversion is done)
>>
>> Actually I have never successfully done charset conversion with
>> mount_smbfs, what did I do wrong?
>>
> weiwu,
>
> One thing comes to mind:  Try your question here:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ/
>
> and here:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
>
> and here:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/archives.html
>
> and here:
>
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/
>
> Your question is specific to samba, and probably not related to
> FreeBSD-specific issues.
>
> lane
> P.S.  I note that the hosts in the links above are mostly "us1."  That's
> probably something to do with the language specification on my system, but
> may be different for you.  Check out www.samba.org for better links.

	Your issue has to deal with locales and character sets. I think what
you want to do is look into mount(8) and mount_smbfs(8), if you use
fstab to specify mounts for the SMB share instead of smbmount.

A flag that sort of jumped out at me in mount_smbfs(8) was...

      -E cs1:cs2
              Specifies local (cs1) and server's (cs2) character sets.

Cheers,
-Garrett