Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:40:36 +1100
From:      Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A perlified gensetdefs

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 04:44:32PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to reduce the number of ELF specific tools, I rewrote
> gensetdefs(1) in perl, using objdump(1). When put in /sys/kern, we
> further reduce the chicken/egg problem when building a kernel. This
> definitely helps porting FreeBSD.
>
> take a look at it and let me know if it's a good idea or not. Any perl
> specific improvements, including style, are welcomed as well. I'm no
> Perl programmer by any means...

I don't have that much objection to it, as it makes supporting big-endian
architectures (eg, PowerPC =)) a fair bit easier.  I have however made
the following changes to the script:
	* Turned on warnings and 'use strict', and made all changes to silence
	  the resultant warnings (mainly use of 'my' in more places).
	* Renamed some variables to make their purpose clearer.
	* Reworked a few blocks to make them easier to comprehend.
	* Added some comments.

I also changed the two-column indent to four, but you're welcome to change that
back, bikesheds permitting. =)

Also, since you allow the environment variable OBJDUMP to override the name
of the objdump program used, can I assume that you no longer object to my use
of NM in genassym and lorder?

--
Benno Rice
benno@FreeBSD.org