Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:46:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Clean solution for emacs-Meta key problem found

The reason for emacs not using the Meta key in curses mode when remote
logged in from an xterm is:

emacs-19.34/src/term.c:
   meta_key = tgetflag ("km") || tgetflag ("MT");

Neither of these where set in FreeBSD's termcap entry for xterm.

I copied the xterm entry from NetBSD's termcap file and things work
now, without need to modify ~/.emacs.

I prepare a pr for it (unless one of the commiters just commit a fix
and drops me a note). It looks like FreeBSD's xterm entry is just
outdated. The NetBSD entry is contributed by Eric Raymond, as it
seems.

For syscons, you'll have to change the mapfile as suggested and set
one of these flags in syscon's termcap entry, too. That may open the
problem how to decide whether an Meta-enabled keymap has been loaded
and set ":km:" as needed.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>