Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 23:33:07 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        rdugaue@calweb.com, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ****HELP*****

>> > Jordan; how hard would it be to generate a file with the md5's of a stock
>> > release system's "standard binaries" for this sort of thing?
>>
>> Probably not too hard.  Let me think about it.  You'd want a file
>> for each distrib, probably.

	mtree -c -k md5digest -p / >/safe/all.md5

Bug: when run by non-root, this exits when it hits the unreadable file
sper4.036.  It's as bad as wc :-(.

Worse bug: when run by root, this exits when it hits an unreadable file
in /proc.  Some regular files aren't.

>And a script somewhere for checking it?  Should we perhaps start looking at
>a SCO-like "perms" setup?  Is this something that the security and ISP
>people would smile happily upon?

	mtree -p / </safe/all.md5

>(ie. a distribution-wide listing of md5's, permissions and ownerships,
>burnt onto the release CD for security's sake 8)

	mtree -c -k md5digest,mode,uid,gid -p / >/safe/all.md5

Bruce