Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:16:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        skip-info@skip-vpn.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi driver with SKIP

Ran test between two fbsd boxes, one with SKIP on box A and the other
with SKIP on wi interface (box C) with an intermediate WavePOINT II as in:

=======Ethernet=========                   [C]
  |               |                         |
[SKIP]           [B]                      [SKIP]
  |               |                         |
 [A]             [W1]--))))[WP-1][WP-2](((([W2]

W1 and W2 are IEEE/ISA Turbo cards with the wi driver

Ping requests originating from A are succesfully encapsulated and arrive
at C where they are successfully de-encapsulated causing a ping response
from C that begins the trek back to A.  Tcpdump, gets a copy of
the frame through the bpf interface to the wi driver which it correctly
identifies the source and destination addresses and that the IP type is
SKIP (57) but complains that the packet has been truncated and is short
by 120 bytes.  With SKIP turned off, transmission is successful in both
directions.

From this, it appears that SKIP encapsulated packets will transit out the
wi interface just fine (as in W1) as long as the SKIP module is not shimmed
in before the wi interface (as in W2).  Looks like the routine where SKIP
hands the encrypted/encapsulated packets back may be suspect.  As SKIP
works with other traditional ethernet interfaces (I use mainly ed, lnc,
and fxp), it must be something that is expected by the wi driver that is
not being furnished by the SKIP shim.

Would have done more but the building that Hillary Clinton is speaking
in front of is next to ours and we got kicked out by the secret service.

I would look at the SKIP code (I've debugged it before) but I haven't a
clue what I'm looking for at the moment.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio