Date:      07 Nov 2003 07:25:46 -0800
From:      Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up X on FreeBSD?

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I got X up and running and used the
script in ports to get GDM running. Great. Everything working well so
far.
Remembered how to enable my sound card in a CUSTOM kernel and built and
installed that. The main *problem* I'm having now (other than I need to
find a place that can sell me the four disc set that includes lots of
the
ports, since I may want to run this actually) is that I need to get my
modem setup. I was able to get it to dial yesterday. It was doing this
weird thing where in dmesg it showed up with its IRQ on sio1 and the
device itself showed up on sio4. I went into the kernel, disabled sio1
and
it still showed up on sio4, but at least the irq showed up there as
well.
So then I started using cuaa4 as the device and I seemingly get
connected
when I run pppd, but the connection drops after a couple minutes and I
can't actually get to the Internet. I need to figure out a way to look
at
what's actually happening with the chat script (if that's possible)
because something isn't going quite right, seemingly. When I connect and
then run ifconfig, there's no IP for ppp0, so I don't think I'm getting
connected all the way.

Preston